About Me

My photo

Welcome! I am teaching law at St. Petersburg State University and engaged in legal practice with the international law firm Dentons. Major part of my research is connected to virtual worlds and massive multiplayer online games (a broad field which includes Internet law, video game law, virtual law and game studies). My legal practice is focused on providing support to computer game companies. This interest derives from my passion for computer games which I consider as one of the most important cultural artifacts ever created. Please note that this blog conveys my private opinion which is not necessarily shared by any organisations I am associated with. For more formal and detailed introduction please visit my website arkhipov.info which serves more as a 'business card'.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Five Lessons To Learn From A Successful Blog Post

So, as mentioned in my previous post, I recenlty had a succesful blog post which had 4870 views, 15 likes and 48 comments. 

The post was created on Jan. 13 2014 at a popular Russian social network for lawyers Zakon.ru. The name is 'Bitcoin: основные принципы и отдельные юридически-значимые особенности' (i.e. 'Bitcoin: main principles and certain legally important peculiarities'). 

I believe that such results are pretty good, and now, after about two months have passed, I am able to identify several key aspects which predetermined this.

© mohamedmaaz86 - Fotolia.com

1. Choosing a hot topic. The topic of this post generally was Bitcoin - right after a big wave of media discussions and directly before (I did not know that in advance, but this could reasonably be anticipated) Bitcoin ban in Russia. 

2. Saying something useful. I am not the one to say whether my post clarified the topic or not, but I know a lot of people who thought that cryptocurrencies are nothing different from 'ordinary' e-money. Furthermore, I made reference to some decent papers on the topic.

3. Structuring. The post has a complete logic of an aricle, but what is probably more imporant, I started it with a 'story'. Although the story just told about the results of my Scoop-It search, it was a real story which said something about myself in the context.

4. Using good language. I write this blog in English, and I do not think that my English is bad, but it is still not my native language or the language I speak as if it is my native. The post in question was written in my native Russian, where I have the whole arsenal of tricks.

5. Adding design. This might be just a mere coincidence, but my successful 'Zakon.ru' post was also the first post where I used a decent picture bought with real money at Fotolia. The effect may be indirect, but high quality pictures may make a good contribution.

I will be happy if anyone who reads this finds this useful, and I will appreciate a feedback on these points.